Marketing is one aspect of business that every brand must give maximum attention. If the consumers do not hear about the business, the business has FAILED; regardless of how awesome the product is.
In today’s world, there are lots of ways to go about marketing, there’s TV ads, radio ads, physical advertising, you may even choose to advertise on platforms like Facebook and Google. The most effective way to tell people who you are, however, is consumer marketing (this is when your consumers become brand advocates).
Consumer marketing is the most effective form of marketing and here are a few reasons why:
- There is transparency (the consumer doesn’t get any profit from the sale of the product), so there is bound to be less resistance.
- Consumer marketing is super cheap because you do not pay your consumers to market the brand. They do it out of loyalty (and loyalty is free).
- Your customers get a sense of belonging; like they’re a part of your community. This is worth a lot.
- Your customers won’t be talking to random strangers, they’ll be talking to people within their circle (friends’ and family) and people are more inclined to listen to their friends than strangers (marketers).
In creating your brand, you shouldn’t be complacent with just getting sales, you must strive to retain your customers and earn their loyalty till they start telling their friends about you. It takes a bit of conscious effort, but it’s possible if you take the right approach.
Here’s a guideline on how you can make your consumers your greatest marketing agents:
Create a System
Have you ever seen a toddler running? Well, the answer is no! This is because there is a stage for everything and brand promotion is no exception to this rule. You don’t expect your newly converted customers to start telling their friends and family how awesome you are just yet.
There’s a sequence which you must follow which is:
- Convert your leads
- Retain your customers by giving them an outstanding experience (this would make them excited)
- Earn their loyalty and create a community around the brand/business.
- Subtly channel their loyalty to brand advocacy.
Your brand must be able to follow this sequence if you’re going to earn the loyalty required to turn them into your brand’s ambassadors. You don’t want to be ‘too straightforward’ in doing this, you want to make it appear as natural as possible.
Create a community
It’s easier to sell a community than a business. You should create a community around your brand to deepen your brand ambassadors’ loyalties. People will be less inclined to sell your business; you’ll have to give them a means of personal investment in the brand if they’re going to become brand ambassadors.
Every act of consumer participation increases the overall visibility of the business. You may create a forum around your business or social media channels to foster active participation among your customers.
Take advantage of Customer Feedback
The 21st-century prospect is highly informed. No one believes marketers anymore, they’ll rather hear of the brand’s/product’s authenticity from past customers. Consumer feedback is another way to get your customers to market to help in your marketing efforts.
Following these tips, you will be able to create a system that fosters consumer brand advocacy. As said earlier, you mustn’t be too forward with this process so as not to spook your customers or make them feel pressured.